Monday 15 August 2011

Ingrid Calame


I was through at the Edinburgh Festival last week and stumbled across an exhibition by New York artist Ingrid Calame. She makes art by tracing marks and stains she finds on the ground - sounds crazy but her drawings are really beautiful! She uses sheets of architectural Mylar (top quality tracing paper) to trace marks on the ground such as stains, cracks and graffiti which she takes back to her studio and re-traces using coloured pencils. She layers up the sheets of traced drawings to create what she calls a 'constellation', like the example above.
Tracing paper? Coloured pencils? I feel a workshop coming on......

1 comment:

  1. This is very nice! Thank you! I am anxious to explore more of her work. I can't tell you how many times I have found myself staring at the random lines in tiles or cracks in the pavement thinking "I really should be drawing this!" The layering really does make for an amazing piece. Might have to introduce the artist to my students and see what we can come up with!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete