Monday 5 March 2012

St David's Day Rabbits and Daffodils


It is good luck to say 'white rabbits' three times when you wake up on the 1st of March (I've no idea why!) and daffodils are the national flower of Wales, so I decided that this project would be a good one for St David's Day.
I pre-cut some rabbit silhouettes (students could choose between pink and brown) and demonstrated how to use a dry brush technique to paint fur onto the rabbits. After putting them aside to dry, we used petal-shaped sponges and yellow paint to print daffodil petals onto a large sheet of pale green paper. Most of my students are very familiar with sponge printing now and have really got the hang of it. I passed around green pastels so that they could draw some stalks and leaves. The next step was to add details to the rabbits. We just used marker pens for this which worked fine on top of the dry paint. After glueing the rabbit onto the centre of the picture, we created 3D daffodil trumpets by sticking on little paper cup cases. By an amazing stroke of luck I found miniature paper cases which were already coloured yellow. I think the project would also look nice with white paper cases.

1 comment:

  1. I have spent many years of my teaching career teaching students with special needs. It is such a rewarding field, which takes every ounce of your energy, but fulfills you in so many ways. Art is a wonderful medium of expression for us all, and especially for those who may have difficulty expressing themselves in other ways. Congratulations on a great blog! I would love you to visit me at Dream Painters :)

    ReplyDelete